Saturday PUNCH exclusively gathered from a top prison source that 11 other inmates were seriously injured during the fracas which occurred around 2pm.
It was learnt that the inmates, who were in the condemned inmates’ cell, had protested the substandard quality of food they were served.
They reportedly demanded to see the controller of the prison to address their grievances.The source said the prison authorities shunned the inmates and refused to heed their call.
“The demand for improvement in food quality and quantity had been on for the past two months, but nothing was done.
“On Thursday, the inmates decided to protest. That was how the warders went and got the arms squad. They entered into the prison and unleashed terror on the inmates, who were in the condemned cell.
“Five of them died there and one of the 12 casualties died at the hospital. The incident has caused tension in the prison as I speak with you.”
It was learnt that the 11 other casualties were on “danger list” at the hospital where they were receiving treatment.
Our source identified the deceased to include one Alhaji Fasisi, Alhaji Yusuf, and Jeunlo.
“There is a grand plan to cover up the incident in the prison,” he added.
However, the Public Relations Officer of the Ilorin Prison who identified himself simply as Philip, denied the incident.
He said, “How is it possible for warders to beat inmates to death? It is not true and no such thing happened. If you’re in doubt, come down to Ilorin, I will personally lead you to Oke Kura to see things for yourself.”